Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Jaha!

This week at work it was back to the office. I spent some time processing evaluations from the past two Global Village volunteer teams, some time translating some materials and some time shadowing different people on staff; an architect and Pepa, the Coordinator of the project ‘Sirviendo a Colaboradores’, a program that collaborates with businesses and companies to provide new homes, additions or home repairs for their employees.

I continue to not entirely understand how things get scheduled at the office, whether an official outlook calendar situation does not exist or if I am just not included it. It results in a lot of “okay, Nicole you’re going to go with this person to this place for this amount of time and you leave now”. Sometimes one or more of those items is left out or I miss it in translation. There are also times I don’t know what we’re doing until after we get there. I’ve found it helps to have a “Jaha” attitude. Jaha is one of the few Guaraní words I’ve learned. It basically means “let’s go” and has been the attitude I’ve tried adopt in relation new things, different experiences or lack of a comprehensible schedule.

Friday, December 5th was the International Day of Volunteers. Habitat threw an event at a bar downtown. It was my first time seeing much of the nightlife downtown. The event started at 8, but no one showed up until almost 10, so I brought out my deck of cards out and taught Laura, Milena and Pepa how to play ‘Asshole’. Explaining it in Spanish I’m pretty sure they were convinced I was making up rules the first couple rounds but then got the hang of it. The event was nice, but incredibly difficult with loud music in a crowded bar, to understand people. I think I had a full conversation with someone in which they asked a question, I responded with an answer to a completely different question, they said something I didn’t understand and I just continued to talk about whatever I had been saying before, repeat. Other than loud bars I am have more significant conversations and pick up on at least the topic of conversations happening around me.
Laura, Milena, Pepa and me before any volunteers showed up. 

December 8th is a National Holiday, the Día del Virgen de Caacupe. Luckily this year it fell on a Monday, making it a 3-day weekend. I went with Mary, Basilio and Yohanna to visit some of their family in Encarnacion, a city in the south of Paraguay, about 5 hours from Asuncion, because Jaha. Basilio’s parents and two brothers all live in Encarnacion or the campo surrounding it.

We left super early Saturday and arrived in time to have lunch with his parents. They have a modest house on a large plot of land with a stream that runs through it. 

"Nicole, want to take a stroll down this stream?" "Jaha!"

Basilio’s older brother lives “next door” which is more like “the next farm over”. He owns about 16,000 chickens and sell eggs and chickens for a living. They also grow the majority of their own vegetables and have a fishpond in the back, where I caught my first real fish! A tilapia that we had for dinner the next night. 

That time I caught a tilapia, grilled it and ate it! Jaha. 

Saturday night we all went to Basilio’s younger brother’s house in the city, he owns a business and was having a holiday party for all of his employees. Dinner wasn’t served until about 11:30pm but the meat there was some of the best I’d had since I’d been in Paraguay, specifically the lamb. The whole family was incredibly warm and welcoming. They made me feel truly comfortable, like I was part of their family.
Also beers in Paraguay are as big as my head. Yes, of course I have my cuse koozie. Jaha.

On Sunday I went to visit some of the Jesuit Ruins of the area and then went to the “beach” along the Río Paraná. 

Me, cousin Nadia and Yohanna at the ruins. 

Beachin. 
For dinner we had my tilapia (along with three others and an 8-kilo fish that was actually what most people ate). After dinner I went with Yohanna and two of her cousins to Encarnacion’s version of the Virgen De Caacupe. We walked about 12 kilometers along the Camino a Itacúa to the sanctuary of the Virgin of Itacúa…starting at midnight. Jaha. The whole experience was so interesting and I am still trying to digest it. It started out with a couple other groups of people along the route, to Mardi Gras sized crowds so heavy that cars couldn’t get by. Upon arrival in Itacúa there were venders almost like a carnival or a fair. We arrived at about 2:30am and there had to have been tens of thousands of people there. We waited about 45 minutes in a line that barely moved to see the Sanctuary, spoiler alert: it’s a small statue of the Virgin Mary in a cave-like rock formation along the river. There were thousands of people sleeping on the lawn waiting to see it in the morning, for this it almost seemed like a music festival…without the tents. And this isn’t even the main destination for the Día del Virgen, I kept thinking, “Caacupe must be insane. THIS is insane!”. For some it is a truly religious experience, for others it’s something to do because other people are doing it. For me, as someone who likes to be a part of things, I was certainly right in the middle of one of the most significant parts of Paraguayan culture. I was incredibly glad that I had jaha’d when asked if I wanted to go for an 8 km walk that started at midnight, despite the fact that we didn’t get back until 4:30am. Words and pictures can’t describe this phenomenon, but here’s an attempt:
Cousin Cesar, Yohanna, cousin Marcia and friend walking with a mission. 

And walking…

Entrance of Itacúa. 

People sleeping, people waiting. 

Part of the waiting, at least the view was nice. Hard to tell from this photo but the moon was almost full, and those lights are Argentina. 

There she is!

No comments:

Post a Comment