Because I am selfish and uncreative, I am stealing this title from
my grandmother, who used to use it to tell the story of her and my great
grandparents’ escape from Nazi Germany. I realize the blog entry of my second
week in Paraguay is not worthy of such a title, but it felt like three
miracles.
On Monday, after another monotonous day in the office, it must
have seemed like something was wrong, because during our run in the Botanic
Gardens Mary asked me if I had been bored at work. I tried to respond
respectfully with, it’s not that I’m bored necessarily, just that I don’t talk
to anyone during the day. I think she understood immediately and expressed that
she wanted me to enjoy my experience, and that if something wasn’t working we
could change it. I hope that I effectively communicated that I wanted to help
the affiliate wherever their need for me was most but also wanted to understand
the affiliate as a whole. The next day Mary, my supervisor, Azucena, and
Milena, the Volunteer Coordinator took a look at my work plan and collectively
realized that I did not actually need to be in Paraguay to do any of the things
on it. She said it was Milena’s idea to have me spend more time with volunteers,
so I am spending the entire week of November 23rd in the field with
the Global Village team.
The whole week got better from there. I spent the majority of
Wednesday with Milena and Laura getting tools from the worksites the week
before and taking them to the worksite for the next week. I got to spend about
6 hours in a truck with them and learned a ton about Habitat Paraguay’s
Volunteer Program, their strengths, weaknesses, and goals. It was interesting
to compare volunteer programs; they were both very interested in how things
work at our affiliate. Milena was especially interested since she will be
leading the first ever “reverse” Global Village trip when a group of
Paraguayans come to Colorado to help with Flood Recovery builds next summer. I
was also able to learn some about each of them. It was great to spend the day
practicing speaking Spanish, rather than just reading it.
This week my Spanish has continued to improve but group settings
are still incredibly difficult for me to understand. Thursday morning (this is
the day of miracles) I overhead a conversation that I was not a part of,
understood what was happening, offered a solution and they took it! Miracle
number one. Then someone from the family services department asked if I wanted
to attend an orientation with her, so I could learn more about that side of the
organization as well. I ended up having lunch with her and two other people
from that department and kept up with the conversation for at least 15 minutes!
Miracle two. After that the lunchroom was completely empty but rather than sitting
there depressed and alone I watched the Pitch Perfect 2 trailer (thanks Lara,
Laura and Melissa for each sending it to me separately). Yes, my third miracle
is the Pitch Perfect 2 trailer and I am okay with that.
This
week I also got the opportunity to see a several new towns including Y’pacarai,
Guarambare, Limpio, Luque, and J. Agosto Saldivar (all of which I’m still
working on pronouncing, specifically the first two, which are in Guaraní)
between the errands for the worksites and the two family services meetings I
attended. Mariene, the family services employee who took me around with her,
was happy to answer my questions and shared tons of information about
everything from working with the families, to the cities and towns we went
through to government and policy. I had my first experience with a family that
spoke almost entirely Guaraní, which still sounds like garbled vocal
inflections lacking any actual pronounced syllables to me, but at least I can
tell the difference between that and Spanish.
Saturday
I went with Katrina to the town of Caacupé, famous for their Basilica with the
largest sanctuary in the country. December 8th is the day of the
Virgin of Caacupé in which thousands of Parguayans make the 50-kilometer
pilgrimage from Asuncion to the Basilica in Caacupé to touch a statue of the
Virgin Mary. The basilica was very impressive with stained glass windows and an
observatory deck with a great view of the region.
Sunday
I meet the Global Village team and get to start working with them on Monday!
Ciao
for now!






No comments:
Post a Comment